Crater Camp is a unique place. At 18,865 feet above sea level, it is the highest campsite on Mount Kiliman‐ jaro. It is located just 475 feet below the summit. We offer the opportunity to stay at Crater Camp on the Lemosho Crater and Northern Crater Circuit routes.
This option will add one day to the standard itineraries making them the 9 Day Lemosho Crater Route . With 9 Day Lemosho Crater Route and stay at Crater Camp then the summit for better acclimatization. On all other Kilimanjaro routes, only the guides and clients summit while the rest of the mountain crew remains at high camp (i.e. Barafu).
Using Crater Camp requires significantly more effort on our part as the entire mountain crew, along with all of the expedition equipment, has to ascend 4,000 feet higher than they normally would. Therefore, there is considerable added cost to do from crater camp, one can take an optional one-hour hike to Reusch Crater, or simply explore the areas around Furtwangler Glacier.
Reusch Crater is a magnificent sight. It is almost perfectly circular and the ash pit measures 400 feet (120 m) deep and 1,300 feet (400 m) wide. This is rarely seen by tourists. We understand the attraction of staying at Crater Camp. However, the drawback of sleeping at this high altitude is that it is pretty dangerous.
Serious AMS can develop if adequate altitude acclimatization has not been achieved. Due to safety concerns for clients and staff, the 9 Day Lemosho Crater Route are done only by special request .
Arrival in Tanzania and transfer to hotel Arrive in Tanzania via Kilimanjaro International airport (JRO) KIAfrika adventure staff will pick you up and transfer to Moshi town where you will spend the first night at lodge those who will arrival through Jomo Kenyatta International Airport (JKIA) in Kenya, we will pick them and transfer by Shuttle bus to Moshi.
Day 2 :
Drive to Londorossi Park Gate (2,385m or 7825 ft)and climbing to Mti Mkubwa Camp (2,700 meters or 8858 ft)feet) Hiking hours 5-6 hours. Distance 8 Km or 5 miles. Zone: rainforest
Climbing from Mti Mkubwa Camp to Shira Camp 1 Climbing from Mti Mkubwa Camp to Shira Camp 1(3,500 m or 11483 feet) Hiking hours 3-4 hours. Distance 6 Km or 6 miles.
Day 4 :
Climbing from Shira Camp 1 to Shira Camp 2 (3,840 M) Climbing from Shira Camp 1 to Shira Camp 2 (3,840 meters or 12,600 feet) Hiking hours 5-6 hours. Distance 8 Km or 5 miles Zone: Rainforest to Low Alpine Zone
Climbing from Shira Camp 2 to Moir Camp (4,200 M) Climbing from Shira Camp 2 to Moir Camp (4,200 meters) for lunch Hiking hours 4 hours. Distance 14 Km or 8 miles Zone: Low alpine zone to High alpine zone then continue to Buffalo Camp (4,020 meters) Hiking hours 5 hours. Distance 12 Km or 7 miles Zone: High alpine zone
Buffalo Camp (4,020 M) to Rongai Third Cave (3,800 M)Buffalo Camp (4,020 meters) to Rongai Third Cave (3,800 meters) Hiking hours 6 hours. Distance 8 Km or 5 miles Zone: High alpine zone and low alpine zone
Climbing 3rd Cave (3,800 M) to School Hut (4,800 M)Climbing 3rd Cave (3,800 meters) to School Hut (4,800 meters) Hiking hours 5 hours. Distance 15 Km or 8 miles Zone: High alpine zone and low alpine zone
Climbing School Hut (4,800 M) crater camp Climbing School Hut (4,800 meters) crater camp 18, 600 feet and evening explorer the glaciers and overnight at crater camp. Hiking hours 6 hours. Ascent Distance 6 Km or 3.5 miles Zone: High alpine zone and actic zone
Climbing Uhuru Peak and then back to School hut and descent to Millenium camp Climbing Uhuru Peak in the early morning about one hour climb to the summit and then back to School hut for resting and descent to Millenium camp. Hiking hours 8 hours. Descent Distance 10.5 Km or 6 miles Zone: High alpine zone and low alpine zone
Millennium Camp 3,950 M to Mweka Gate 1,640 M Millennium Camp (3,950 meters) to Mweka Gate (1,640 meters) transfer to at lodge for certificate and summit party ceremony Hiking hours 5 hours. Distance 10 Km or 6.5 miles Zone: Rainforest zone
Departure Transfer airport to back home.
PRICE BASED IN SHARING PER PERSON $ 2250 IN GROUP 2-5 PRICE BASED IN SHARING PER PERSON $ 2150 IN GROUP 10- 20
- 2 Airport Transfers, from JRO Kilimanjaro Airport to Moshi when you arrive, then transfer back to the Airport for your flight home.
- 2 nights Hotel Lodging on Bed and Breakfast basis, Double or Triple Occupancy (3 star hotel you will need to pay extra if you want to have a 4 or 5 star hotel)
- 3 Delicious meals a days plud snacks if applicable, boiled and filtered drinking water while on the mountain.
- Warm water for washing to be provided every morning and evening.
- Oxygen Cylinder – only for emergency
- English Speaking Guides (Wilderness First Responder certified), cook and porters
- Staff salaries and fees.
- All huts and camping fee
- Crater fees
- Transport to/from national park gates.
- Emergency telephone between the guides and our office in Moshi town.
- 3 litres of bottled drinking water to be provided on the first day your hike, on the mountain porters will fetch water from the streams to be boiled and filtered for you
- Camping equipments
- Portable oxygen for emergencies (returnable on completion of climb)
- Certificate of successful completion
- Tanzania government taxes.
- Private toilet PRICE EXCLUDES:
- Prices do not include sleeping bags
- Gratuities (tips for guides and porters)
- Soda/alcohol unless otherwise noted (plenty of water will be provided for hydration)
- Health insurance
- International airfare
- Laundry • All Meals and drinks in Moshi town
- Round-trip airfare to and from Kilimanjaro (JRO airport)
- Travel and visa documents
- Optional travel insurance
- Additional equipment rental (walking sticks, sleeping pads, etc.)
- Personal items Costs of additional services:
- Pick up and drop off at Kilimanjaro Airport, per person, per way $100
- Single supplement, for single tent/room, per trip $259
- Extra porter, for excess gear, per day $30
- Extra hotel night in Moshi, check in 2PM, check out 10AM, per double room $120
- Sleeping bag rental, Mountain Hardwear Lamina, synthetic -30F, per trip $50
- Trekking poles rental, telescopic, per trip $2